Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Goodness in the World

Did I mention that the new Dave Matthews Band CD is out today? Yeah, it is. And I have zero dollars to buy it. 'Tis a sad day indeed.

So instead, I'm just going to post another wonderful video, Everyday.
(I promise that this blog will not become a shrine to all that good and beautiful about the DMB)




The video features actor/comedian Judah Friedlander in the act of doing one of the most simple and humane things that anyone can do, giving a hug. After his first minute and twenty seconds of unsuccessful attempts, he finally gets some. Dave's lyrics of "all you need is, what you want is, all you need is love" are a powerful statement (as were the Beatles back in 1967) and take on a whole different meaning when that little old granny finally gives in and says yes. And later come the celebrities...Conan O'Brien, Vincent Pastore, Sheryl Crow, Blue Man Group, Tiki Barber and Hallie Kate Eisenberg, as well as the band themselves.

I love the fact that this video makes me think. I spend everyday commuting on a bus, my earbuds in my ears, not paying attention to those around me. Most of the other riders are also in that same catatonic state. Simple conversation has become a lost art. So what would happen if I were to turn down the music for a moment to say hello?


So get out there. Hug someone today. I dare you.


Bonus DMB trivia about Everyday:
When the song is played live, the song "#36" is mixed in with the song "Everyday." It is also a tradition for the crowd to sing, "Hani, Hani, [sometimes transcribed as 'Honey, Honey'] Come and dance with me" during the parts of the song that #36 mixes in with. The song "#36" was written in response to the assassination of Chris Hani, who worked to end South African apartheid (as Dave himself is from South Africa). Here's a clip of a live concert where the audience begins the familiar mix of songs. This is exactly why I go to Dave concerts. The play between the band and audience is beautiful to be a part of and there's a mutual love and respect that you can't find in most performing acts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment