Thursday, April 23, 2009

For the Boys (otherwise entitled No Means No)

Dating in this day and age has drastically changed from the times when my mother was spending her Friday nights with my father. Even in the past ten years, there's been a radical shift in the way that people meet. The internet has changed everything.

Online dating sites are now a dime a dozen and I've got a profile on all of them. To tell you the truth, I don't get hundreds of men approaching me on a daily basis. I am not a skinny girl by any means, but I am pretty in my own little exotic way. The men that do approach me usually have a few things in common; They are drawn to some physical aspect of my pictures (my smile, eyes, lips, or other curvaceous feminine part). They are dorks in some way (trekkies, music lovers, history buffs -- I truly love men with brains), and 9 out of 10 times, they are desperate for anything that they can get. This last characteristic however, is where I draw the line.

I try to tell the desperate ones no in a nice way. Sorry, I'm not dating now or Sorry, our age difference is just too great. What I really mean though is that in no uncertain terms will I ever date you. Ever. I deserve better than desperate. Some of these men though simply can't take no for an answer. They keep writing back hoping for some glimmer of hope that I will respond in a different way. Maybe if they show me how wonderful and caring they truly are that I will change my mind. It's for these men that I post this video today.



One of the most classic girl groups of my generation is En Vogue. Without them, there would not have been a Destiny's Child, Pussycat Dolls, or Danity Kane (RIP DK). Winners of more MTV Music Awards than any other female group in history, they had raw vocal power, enticing harmonies, and appearances that were the definition of beauty. More importantly, their lyrics brought a woman's perspective to a male dominated music world.

My Lovin (Never Gonna Get It) is a perfect example of the classic girl-group video. There's great dance sequences, interesting wardrobe/hair/makeup, and a storyline unwrapped within the lyrical confines. The most unusual thing about this video however is that we never see a man's face. All the male dance sequences are shot in shadowed outlines, and the played-out narrative relationship is echoed through a somewhat creepy, latexed head-to-toe, dancer man.

The best part of the video (and song for that matter) however, is the "breakdown". The girls are singing in all their a cappella glory. The shots are quick cuts between the quartet members, reminiscent of the 50's & 60's girl groups that they were inspired by. It's classic and refined, just like the girls themselves.

Now, some twenty years later, En Vogue is (amazingly) still making music. Girl groups come and go with more ease than should be allowed, the latest tragedy being the breakup of Danity Kane (another insanely talented group of young girls). Lucky for us, En Vogue has stood the test of time.

And a bonus video (with someone you're all familiar with):

1 comment:

  1. That bonus video was hot! I've never seen that before. WOW!
    ~T

    ReplyDelete